If you have a pool and live in Connecticut, you’ve probably considered whether you should have a pool heater and whether propane is the smart choice to fuel it. The answer to both parts of the question is yes. Propane heaters are one of the most effective ways to heat your pool and there are many benefits of propane pool heaters when comparing them to heaters fueled by other fuel sources.
Pool Heating Season
No doubt when spring arrived, those of us lucky enough to have a pool in the backyard couldn’t wait to pop the cover off and get it started. There’s nothing quite as inviting as the sight of the clear, clean water during outdoor gatherings. But let’s face it, most of us wouldn’t dream of taking a plunge in the early spring unless you are a member of a polar bear club! Or, unless you have a pool heater.
Pool heaters extend the swimming season in the Northeast to include the months of May and September, instead of only June, July, and August. Given the expense of having a pool, it makes sense to be able to use it for as long as you can from Spring to Fall.
But many homeowners are reluctant to use the pool heaters they have. Many believe the cost of fuel, which has been steadily rising, makes it too expensive. That’s where propane makes even more sense.
When choosing a pool heater, the usual choices are either a gas-fired unit or an electric heat pump. Although heat pumps operate very efficiently and may require less maintenance than a propane-powered heater, they are more costly to purchase and install. According to energy.gov, gas heaters are the more popular choice.
Propane Pool Heaters Have Clear-Cut Benefits
- Propane-powered heaters are proven to warm pools more quickly than electric heat pumps, and they maintain that heat better, even in cold weather.
- Propane is more energy-rich than natural gas, so you’ll use less fuel to heat your pool.
- Most propane pool heaters can raise the water temperature in your pool 30 degrees or more.
- Propane is a more environmentally friendly choice. Not only will you save energy, but you’ll also reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
- Propane heaters operate cleanly and take up little space, even though they have powerful capabilities.
- Because propane pool heaters warm the water more quickly, you can use it when you need it and not worry about having to run it for longer than necessary.
- Propane heaters are smaller compared to electric units which means you give up less space in your yard.
- Propane allows you to have more control over the temperature in your swimming pool.
- If you are using propane for your pool heater, you will also have it available for other outside comforts, such as grills, patio heaters, fire pits and more.
- Propane can be less expensive to use because it has a greater heat output – higher BTUs – than natural gas. Propane requires less energy to run, saving you money on monthly energy bills.
Drawbacks of Heat Pumps:
Heat pumps need warm humid weather to transfer that energy from the air to the pool. Cool days and cold nights in Spring and early Fall impede the ability of a heat pump to warm your pool when you want it the most.
Heat pumps raise temperatures through long run cycles, which mean slow recovery times. A correctly sized propane heater gets the water up to the temperature you want much faster than a comparable heat pump.
Additional Savings Tips When Using Propane Pool Heaters:
Swimming pools lose energy in a variety of ways, but evaporation is by far the largest source of energy loss. Evaporating water requires tremendous amounts of energy. It only takes 1 Btu (British Thermal Unit) to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree, but each pound of 80ºF water that evaporates takes a whopping 1,048 Btu of heat out of the pool.
- Turn your temperature down. According to www.energy.gov, for every 2 degrees you turn down your temperature you will be saving around $40 per month. So, reducing your temperature of your pool from 84 degrees to 78 degrees can save you $120 per month.
- Use a Pool Cover. Pool covers minimize evaporation from pools. And covering a pool when not in use is the single most effective means of reducing pool heating costs. Savings can amount to between 50%–70%!
Call Levco For All Your Propane Needs!
Levco offers automatic propane delivery using tank monitors, installation of new propane tanks, as well as our Propane Exchange program. Whether you use propane year-round or just in the Summer months, Levco is the premier choice! Thousands of homeowners have trusted Levco to keep their tanks full since 1980! Give us a call at (203) 533-8249 or contact us today!
Post Views: 1,414
TO SOLVE PROBLEMS FOR OUR CUSTOMERS, OFTEN BEFORE THEY EVEN KNOW THEY HAVE THEM – YOU CAN LEAN ON US!
Levco is the premier provider of heating & cooling service as well as fuel oil and propane delivery in Fairfield County, CT.
CT Lic. 303607
HOD 194 / DOT 663660
Copyright © 2022 Levco Tech Inc. All Rights Reserved
55 Merritt Blvd, Trumbull, CT 06611
Phone: (203) 533-8249