Boiler Replacement & Installation in Connecticut
What Is A Boiler?
Boilers heat water, and provide either hot water or steam for heating your home. They are typically located in a basement or utility room. Steam is distributed by pipes to steam radiators, and hot water can be distributed via baseboard radiators or radiant floor systems, or can heat air via a coil.
Boilers are generally more energy-efficient than other heating systems. They are versatile, long lasting, and safe.
Why are Boilers Important?
In order to provide consistent heat throughout your home, a boiler houses the combustion of oil, propane, or natural gas and transfers the generated energy to water as it passes through. The heated water can then travel through your home, using radiators to distribute the heat to rooms calling for it.
What Causes Boilers Malfunction?
- Lack of Maintenance: If the boiler is not properly maintained, it can result in a variety of issues, including reduced efficiency, increased energy costs, and even breakdowns. Annual tune ups by a certified technician are a great way to keep equipment optimized and spot small issues before they become larger problems.
- Dirty or Clogged Components: Dirt, debris, and sediment can build up on the boiler’s components over time, causing them to become dirty or clogged. This can cause issues with burning fuel or safely removing the exhaust.
- Electrical or Mechanical Issues: A residential boiler has many electrical and mechanical components that must work together in order to function properly. Exposure to water or simply old age can contribute to these components failing.
- Low Water Pressure or Leaks: A lack of water pressure or leaks in the system can cause the boiler to stop working or fail to produce enough heat.
- Poor Ignition: Without clean light offs or a consistently controlled fire inside the boiler, you may have a build up of unburned fuel or damage to the inside of the chamber. A damaged chamber can affect the ability for your boiler to efficiently provide heat, it could create excess carbon buildup, and possibly generate positive pressure where exhaust is forced back into the home instead of being vented outside.
How Do I Know if my Boiler is Not Working as Intended?
- Lack of Heat: If your boiler is not producing inadequate heat, it may be a sign that there is an issue with the system.
- Strange Noises: Boilers can make a variety of sounds during normal operation, but if you hear loud banging, clanging, or other unusual noises, it may be a sign that there is a problem.
- Leaks: If you notice water leaking from your boiler, it could be a sign of damaged or malfunctioning components.
- Unusual Smells: If you detect a strange odor coming from your boiler, it may be a sign that something is wrong.
- Increased Energy Bills: If your energy bills have suddenly increased without explanation, it could be a sign that your boiler is not functioning efficiently.
A malfunctioning boiler can affect your heating system in several ways. It may result in reduced or uneven heat output, decreased energy efficiency, and potential damage to other components in your heating system. Additionally, a broken or malfunctioning boiler can be a safety hazard if it is not repaired promptly.
What To Do & What To Expect from a Levco Technician
Call a Professional: Boilers are complex pieces of equipment that should only be worked on by licensed professionals. Once your Levco technician arrives at your home, you can expect him to inspect the equipment and provide you with a diagnosis of the issue. Levco technicians carry most commonly used parts on their vans and can usually make repairs on the same visit. If larger equipment replacement is recommended a return visit can be scheduled. Once the repair is complete the technician will perform efficiency tests of your system and tune it to run optimally.
Turn Off the Power: If you suspect that your boiler is operating unsafely and believe there is a danger to people or your property, switch off the emergency switch or the circuit breaker that controls the boiler.
“We have used Levco for over 20 years and they have always been reliable, fair and professional.”- J. P.
I’ve never had any issues with Levco as their staff (office, techs, delivery drivers, etc) have all been great. Highly recommend.”
“This is the type of guy that makes Levco stand out! Highly recommended!”- Wenyi L.